I had a Registered Dietitian come in to speak at a meeting to talk about some facts/myths on nutrition. She brought a tasty treat in for us to try as we listened in on her information.
This particular smoothie prepared for us is called “Rockin’ The Colony” which contains probiotics. It was described to “replenish muscles and energy stores, as well as help support the GI system and assist in reducing inflammation after workouts.”
- 1/2 cup of stonyfield lowfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of steel rolled oats
- Provides 2 servings
What is Probiotics?
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are essentially good for you, especially pertaining your digestive system . Our body has a combination full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often considered “good” bacteria because they assists in keeping your gut healthy.
How Do They Work?
- When you lose “good” bacteria in your body, for example after you take antibiotics, probiotics can help replace them.
- They can help balance your “good” and “bad” bacteria to keep your body working the way it should at a maintainable PH level
Good examples of Probiotic foods with live cultures are:
- Fresh kimchi
- Fresh sour pickles
- There are 3 main probiotics that are mainly used: supplements, yogurts, and fermented.
In conclusion, if you deal with digestive problems, consider a probiotic to help improve it!