*Credit: 2016 Nutrition and Fitness Calendar Photos from Iowa State University Extension & Outreach Staff
Before I started the January 2016 Losin’ It Program, I was able to partner with The Ohio State Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) to tie in the nutrition side of exercise. The program went for 8 weeks, helping educate individuals/families on how to make better food choices, & saving money.
2 tablespoons oil (canola or vegetable)
1/4 cup cornmeal
4 frozen filets (about 3 oz each) of white fish, thawed
4 hamburger buns
Optional sandwich toppings; sliced onions & tomatoes, leaf lettuce, light ranch dressing or tartar sauce
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Spread the cornmeal on a plate and press the fish into the cornmeal to coat on all sides.
- Fry the fish in the hot oil until the cornmeal is lightly browned. this will take about 2-3 minutes on each side. Fish is done when the internal temperature reaches 145*F or it flakes easily with a fork.
- Move the fish from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels. Pat the fish dry with more paper towels.
- Assemble sandwiches with your favorite toppings.
- Thaw fish in the refrigerator overnight.
- for more flavor, mix 1 teaspoon seasoning with cornmeal before coating fish. Seasoning might be lemon pepper, pepper, garlic powder, or chili powder.
- Make homemade tartar sauce. Stir light mayo or salad dressing with pickle relish.